Lost Epiphany
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost Epiphany: RP and more

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Those participating in the Lost Reality Roleplay: The forum will be divided up by section starting soon. There will be a forum for each bedroom, and various other areas in the house. Please be sure to pay attention to where you are roleplaying, and keep the story moving smoothly

Clauses

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Host
Admin
Admin
Host

Clauses              Empty
PostSubject: Clauses    Clauses              Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 11:44 am

Ok, I don't like the way they explained Clauses, so I'm going to attempt to explain it myself. A clause is basically a set of words containing a subject and a verb. (sometimes the subject is implied.) There are two types of clauses; An Independent Clause, and a Dependent Clause.

Independent Clauses

Independent Clauses contain all of the information necessary to make a sentence, and are capable of standing on their own.

Ex.
Terry ate an apple.

In this example, the clause made a complete statement, and thus, would be considered independent.

Dependent Clauses

Dependent Clauses are lacking in some way of the necessary information to make a sentence. (for example, the subject, or verb are not stated.) For this reason, a Dependent Clause depends on another clause in order to become a complete statement

Ex.
Before going to class, Terry ate an apple.

In this example, the dependent clause, "Before going to class," did not make a complete statement, thus it relied on the Independent clause, "Terry went to class." In order to form a proper sentence.

The use of Dependent and Independent clauses can add to the depth of your writing, allowing you to add detail, as well as draining monotony from aa story.
Back to top Go down
https://lostepiphany.forumotion.com

Clauses
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lost Epiphany :: English Course :: Grammar-
Jump to: